Made with Python and Matplotlib, with some help from Preview and the online Word Cloud applet LunaPic.
Before I name the source I want to note that this is an English visualization based on several texts that do not take their original form in English. It's important to realize that these data are therefore translations, and this fact inherently creates a bias and complication in favor of the translator. Because people's religious beliefs are extremely dear and personal to them, they may feel that this visualization does not do their faith justice. They are right. It does not. I do not claim that it does, and it would be fascinating to see what the clouds would look like in their native languages.
It is also for this reason that I, unlike the previous viz, have not done any sentiment analysis. I'm in no way criticizing the other visualization, which is also very cool, but in my view sentiments are less meaningful when done on something that is inherently a translated poem.
- Technically speaking the Jewish Bible (the Old Testament to Christians) is slightly different from the first half of this file but I deemed it not different enough on aggregate for this wordcloud.
Hindu Texts:
- I have left out the Puranas, Mahabharat (except the Bhagvad Gita), and Ramayan
Buddhist Texts:
- These texts are all from the Therevada tradition of Buddhism, whose body of scripture is extremely vast and very little of it has been translated into English. I have used only a small sample for the visualization.
Comments
Post a Comment