The Egg -君は家に帰っている途中で死んだ。
The Egg
By: Andy Weir
Translation: Alex OnsagerThe Egg
君は家に帰っている途中で死んだ。
交通事故だった。ごく普通の交通事故だったが、致命的だった。君は妻と子供二人を残した。死ぬときに痛みはなかった。救急隊はがんばって救おうとしたが、無理だった。君の体はもうボロボロで、実際この方が良かった。
そして、君は私と出会った。
「いったい何が起こったんだ?」と君は訪ねた。「ここはどこ?」
「君は死んだんだよ」と私は答えた。ここで回りくどく言う必要はない。
「トラックが来てて…そしてそれが急に滑って…」
「そう。」
「し、死んじゃったのか?」
「 そう。でも気にする必要はない。皆いずれ死ぬのだから。」
君は回りを見た。何も無かった。ただ君と私の二人だけ。「ここはどこなんだ?」と君は訪ねた。「ここは来世なのか?」
「まあ、そうだね」と私は答えた。
「あなたは、神?」
「そう。私は神。」
「俺の子供達…俺の妻…」
「彼らがどうした?」
「大丈夫なのか?」
「良いことを言うね。自分が死んだばかりだと言うのに一番の心配が家族だなんて。その心意気好きだよ。」
君は私を改めて見つめ直した。君にとって私は神には見えなかった。普通の男性か、もしくは普通の女性にしか見えなかった。何となく偉そうな気はしたが、それは神とかよりもどちらかというと小学校の先生に近かった。
「心 配はいらない」と私は答えた。「彼らは大丈夫。子供達は君のことを完璧なお父さんとしてしか覚えない。憎く思えるほど一緒に時間をまだ過ごしていなかった からね。妻は表では泣くが、本当は密かにホッとしている。実を言うと君たちの関係は崩れかけていたからね。気休めになるかわからないが、彼女はホッとして いることに対してかなり罪悪感を感じている。」
「そう」と君は言った。「これからはどうなるんだ?天国とか地獄とかに行くのか?」
「どちらでもない。君は生まれ変わる。」
「そうか。じゃあヒンドゥー教が正しかったのか。」
「人々の考えはすべてそれなりに正しいんだよ」と私は言った。「少し散歩をしよう。」
我々は二人で虚空の中を歩き始めた。「どこへ行くんだい?」と君は聞いた。
「特にどこへも行かないよ。歩きながらしゃべるのも良いじゃないか。」
「意味はあるのか?」と君が訪ねた。「どうせ生まれ変わったら空っぽなんだろう?ただの赤ん坊になって。だから今話しても、この命での経験や行動は関係じゃいないか。」
「いや、そんなことない。」と私は答えた。「君の中には今まで得た経験と知識がすべて残っている。ただ今は思え出せないだけ。」
私 は立ち止まって君の方に手を載せた。「君の魂は、君が想像も出来ないほど壮大で美しくて、巨大なんだよ。人間の頭に反映しようとしても、ほんの一部しか収 まらない。コップの水の温度をはかるために指先を入れるようなもんだよ。自分の小さな部分をそこに入れて、取り出す時には体全体にその一部の経験が伝わっ ている。
「君はここ48年間ずっと人間の体の中だったから、意識を広げてその壮大さを感じ取る機会がなかったんだよ。しばらくここにいたら少しずつ思い出してくるけど。一つ一つの人生の間にそれをする必要はないけどね。」
「じゃあ、俺はもう何回生まれ変わってるんだ?」
「そりゃもう、沢山さ。本当に沢山。そして色々な人生にね。次は確か、君が言う中世時代あたりかな?」
「え?ちょっとまってくれよ」と君は驚いて言った。「俺は過去に飛ばされるのか?」
「まあ、そう言われるとそうかもしれない。君の言う時間は君の世界でしか存在しないからね。私が元々いた場所では意味の無い話になってしまう。」
「元々いた場所?」
「そりゃあるさ」と説明した。「私だってずっとここに居た訳ではない。別の場所から来た。そして私みたいな存在もほかにいる。君がその場所の話をもっと聞きたいことはわかるが、説明しても君には理解出来ない。」
「そっか」と君は残念そうに言った。「でも待てよ。時間がばらばらで生まれ変わるのなら、自分と出会ったこともあるかもしれないじゃないか。」
「そう。よくあることだよ。けどお互いの存在は自分の人生のことしか認識していないからそこで気づくことは無い。」
「じゃあいったい何のために?」
「存在の意味か。ベタな質問だね。」
「けど聞く必要は十分あると思う」と君は問い続けた。
私は君の目をじっと見つめた。「存在の意味、そしてこの世界を私が作り出した理由。それは君を成長させるため。」
「人類のことか?人間に成長してほしいのか?」
「いや、君だけ。私はこの世界のすべてを君一人の為に作った。人生を重ねることによって君は成長し、さらに壮大で完璧な知性となっていく。」
「俺だけ?ほかの人々は?」
「ほかは居ない」と私は答えた。「この世界には、君と私の二人しか存在しない。」
「でも、世界中の人々は…」
「すべて君だよ。全員君の生まれ変わり。」
「待てよ。全人類が俺だと言いたいのか?」
「やってわかってきたね」と私は微笑んだ。
「今まで生きて来た人間が皆俺?」
「そう、そして今後生まれてくる人々も全員ね。」
「俺が徳川家康?」
「そして豊臣秀吉でもある。」
「俺がヒトラー?」と君は動揺を隠せず聞いた。
「そして彼が殺した何百万人の人々。」
「俺がイエス・キリスト?」
「そして彼に従う全ての人々でもある。」
君は黙り込んだ。
「君が誰かを犠牲にするとき、それは自分を犠牲にすることになる」と私は続けた。「君が人に親切をするとき、それは自分への親切となる。今まで経験された、そしてこれから全人類に経験されることとなるうれしい思い、悲しい思い、これを全て君が経験する。」
君は長い間考え込んだ。
「どうして?」と君は訪ねた。「なぜこんなことをする?」
「それは、いつか君は私みたいになるから。君はそういう存在であるから。君は我々と一緒。君は私の息子なんだよ。」
「そんな、」と君が信じられないように言った。「俺が神だということか?」
「いや、まだそうではない。君は胎児。まだ成長をしている途中。全人類全ての人生を経験した後、君は十分成長を積みやった生まれることが出来る。」
「じゃあ、この世界って言うのは…」
「卵」と私は答えた。「さあ、次の人生を始める時間だ。」
そして私は君を見送った。
The Egg
By: Andy Weir
You were on your way home when you died.
It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left behind a wife and two children. It was a painless death. The EMTs tried their best to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered you were better off, trust me.
And that’s when you met me.
“What… what happened?” You asked. “Where am I?”
“You died,” I said, matter-of-factly. No point in mincing words.
“There was a… a truck and it was skidding…”
“Yup,” I said.
“I… I died?”
“Yup. But don’t feel bad about it. Everyone dies,” I said.
You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. “What is this place?” You asked. “Is this the afterlife?”
“More or less,” I said.
“Are you god?” You asked.
“Yup,” I replied. “I’m God.”
“My kids… my wife,” you said.
“What about them?”
“Will they be all right?”
“That’s what I like to see,” I said. “You just died and your main concern is for your family. That’s good stuff right there.”
You looked at me with fascination. To you, I didn’t look like God. I just looked like some man. Or possibly a woman. Some vague authority figure, maybe. More of a grammar school teacher than the almighty.
“Don’t worry,” I said. “They’ll be fine. Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way. They didn’t have time to grow contempt for you. Your wife will cry on the outside, but will be secretly relieved. To be fair, your marriage was falling apart. If it’s any consolation, she’ll feel very guilty for feeling relieved.”
“Oh,” you said. “So what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?”
“Neither,” I said. “You’ll be reincarnated.”
“Ah,” you said. “So the Hindus were right,”
“All religions are right in their own way,” I said. “Walk with me.”
You followed along as we strode through the void. “Where are we going?”
“Nowhere in particular,” I said. “It’s just nice to walk while we talk.”
“So what’s the point, then?” You asked. “When I get reborn, I’ll just be a blank slate, right? A baby. So all my experiences and everything I did in this life won’t matter.”
“Not so!” I said. “You have within you all the knowledge and experiences of all your past lives. You just don’t remember them right now.”
I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. “Your soul is more magnificent, beautiful, and gigantic than you can possibly imagine. A human mind can only contain a tiny fraction of what you are. It’s like sticking your finger in a glass of water to see if it’s hot or cold. You put a tiny part of yourself into the vessel, and when you bring it back out, you’ve gained all the experiences it had.
“You’ve been in a human for the last 48 years, so you haven’t stretched out yet and felt the rest of your immense consciousness. If we hung out here for long enough, you’d start remembering everything. But there’s no point to doing that between each life.”
“How many times have I been reincarnated, then?”
“Oh lots. Lots and lots. An in to lots of different lives.” I said. “This time around, you’ll be a Chinese peasant girl in 540 AD.”
“Wait, what?” You stammered. “You’re sending me back in time?”
“Well, I guess technically. Time, as you know it, only exists in your universe. Things are different where I come from.”
“Where you come from?” You said.
“Oh sure,” I explained “I come from somewhere. Somewhere else. And there are others like me. I know you’ll want to know what it’s like there, but honestly you wouldn’t understand.”
“Oh,” you said, a little let down. “But wait. If I get reincarnated to other places in time, I could have interacted with myself at some point.”
“Sure. Happens all the time. And with both lives only aware of their own lifespan you don’t even know it’s happening.”
“So what’s the point of it all?”
“Seriously?” I asked. “Seriously? You’re asking me for the meaning of life? Isn’t that a little stereotypical?”
“Well it’s a reasonable question,” you persisted.
I looked you in the eye. “The meaning of life, the reason I made this whole universe, is for you to mature.”
“You mean mankind? You want us to mature?”
“No, just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature and become a larger and greater intellect.”
“Just me? What about everyone else?”
“There is no one else,” I said. “In this universe, there’s just you and me.”
You stared blankly at me. “But all the people on earth…”
“All you. Different incarnations of you.”
“Wait. I’m everyone!?”
“Now you’re getting it,” I said, with a congratulatory slap on the back.
“I’m every human being who ever lived?”
“Or who will ever live, yes.”
“I’m Abraham Lincoln?”
“And you’re John Wilkes Booth, too,” I added.
“I’m Hitler?” You said, appalled.
“And you’re the millions he killed.”
“I’m Jesus?”
“And you’re everyone who followed him.”
You fell silent.
“Every time you victimized someone,” I said, “you were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you’ve done, you’ve done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you.”
You thought for a long time.
“Why?” You asked me. “Why do all this?”
“Because someday, you will become like me. Because that’s what you are. You’re one of my kind. You’re my child.”
“Whoa,” you said, incredulous. “You mean I’m a god?”
“No. Not yet. You’re a fetus. You’re still growing. Once you’ve lived every human life throughout all time, you will have grown enough to be born.”
“So the whole universe,” you said, “it’s just…”
“An egg.” I answered. “Now it’s time for you to move on to your next life.”
And I sent you on your way.


Comments
Post a Comment