Macquarie University Intern Rebecca Fox - Spring 2022

  Rebecca Fox

A person sitting at a table with a plate of dessertsDescription automatically generated with medium confidenceMy name is Rebecca Fox. I am from Cleveland, Ohio in the US, and moved to Sydney in 2020 to attend Macquarie University. I am in my third year studying Japanese and Asian studies. Over the course of my degree, I have focused on aspects of Japanese culture and current social issues.

I chose Japanese studies as my major because I find Japanese culture fascinating because it differs greatly from my own culture. Due to culture being so interconnected with language, to further understand Japanese culture is to understand aspects of Japanese language. Beyond Japanese, this degree has opened my eyes to many aspects of languages, including English, and various other cultures that have expanded my interest in international studies. These intercultural skills are something that I hope to utilize in my future career path.







I live in one of Sydney’s eastern suburbs and it takes me about an hour and a half to get to Macquarie University by train. I enjoy the transit because the train goes over the Harbor Bridge where I can see the Sydney Opera House. 











My interest in cultural studies began from my travels to other countries where I was able to experience foreign cultures firsthand. Ten years ago, I had the opportunity to travel to Japan for two weeks as part of an exchange program. Through this exchange I lived with a lovely Japanese host family in Nara prefecture.









 During those two weeks, I went to many different places such as Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Miyajima, and Hiroshima. I especially loved trying all the new food dishes that I had never had before. My favorite was Takoyaki, so good!! There are still many things I would like to experience in Japan, and I can’t wait till I can visit again.

 

 

 




I previously worked at Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. While working there, I met many people from around the world who introduced me to their cultures and languages. The job itself was also really fun, I got to make magic for guests who visited the park. I hope to one day visit Tokyo Disney as I know it has many uniquely Japanese offerings. Currently, I have a part-time job at a café that serves all types of cakes and coffee, although I am still learning how to create latte art.  





I am excited to meet and get to know all of you!!

Comments